02 December 2006

Midnight Express

I HEART Tri-met!

On the bus you experience so much of the city the average car commuter misses. And, you can read.

I ride the 11:32 p.m. bus home from work. I aways hustle to catch the 11:32 because the next bus doesn't come untill 12:02 a.m and I've arbitrarily decided that after midnight it's no longer safe to walk the four well-lit blocks from the bus stop to my apartment.

I board the bus and scan for possible serial killers while walking to the last open seat. From the back I can keep track of the others. The bus is unusually empty, a few street punks, a couple college students and in the very back row four African American kids - maybe late teens or early 20s - who are loud and drunk, but harmless.

Two men, two-women. One man - the quiter guy - is toting a five foot stack of green 10-gallon buckets and drumsticks home from a night of busking. His buddy is loaded and slurring and, well, obnoxious.

I open "Riding With Rilke" and the noise of the bus falls away. Actually the noise of the buss passes out across three seats, but I don't know this yet. I'm with Ted Bishop on his Ducati outside of Green River, Utah and "just south of here in a harsh red mountain range, the Hole-In-The-Wall Gang relaxed between robberies."

Bishop is talking about Jesse James and Butch Cassidy when I notice the bus isn't moving and look up from the page.

There's a thick blue leg, dark blue strip, beside me and a large hand wrapped around a handgun next to the leg.

A GUN.

Two guns.

Three Guns.

All drawn. All in the hands of cops. All less than two-feet from my head.

I'm thinking, if they decide to use these things, I'm in a very unfortunate seat.

They've come for the passed-out kid becuase he meets the description of some one reportedly seen waving a gun: A black man in back jeans and a black jacket.

Of course, it's crucial to have ready weapons when approaching an unconscious suspect.

All four are off the bus; and then all of us are off the bus - the yeasty warm smell of baking bread clinging to the fog.

The kid is not armed - just riding while black, which, I think, is a felony in Portland Police statuetes.

They keep us there untill the the 12:02 arrives.

Two possible serial killers on that one.

Can't get this kind of ride in a car.

I HEART Tri-Met!

4 Comments:

Blogger riversgrace said...

Model Mugging...heard of it? Sure would be nice to know that you are protected in the night.

11:18 AM  
Blogger holly said...

OK, what's model mugging? ... most of the time I catch a ride and often when I take the late bus there's a copy editor who lives a couple blocks from me on it. we get off at the same stop. so i'm not often totally solo.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

God, you're funny, Holly. I love the way your mind works, and your fingers type!

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So funny to read this after hearing you tell it. The different details you choose to write.

Yeah, gotta love the need to approach a sleeping kid with a loaded gun. Yup.

12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home