28 December 2006

re-defining resolution

The trick-thing about about making resolutions is they're just too narrowly defined. All about "I'm going to do this. I'm not going to do that." No point in the follow-through impaired starting each new year with a blue print for failure. How masochistic is that?

Year after year, I have steadfastly refused.

The 20s were a winking satisfaction with hedonism, happily skipping down the path to self enihilation and stopping to smell the ashes. College housemates drew-up maps for self-growth and started jogging, I loaded a tube and wondered why anyone would want to make changes that require running. Mystified. The early-30s were defeat, so why bother making promises I would keep for a week? The mid-30s were hopeless desire - the path overgrown, obscured under thickets of witch's broom that left long stinging cuts up my arms, across my back, as I belly-crawled through it. Now, late-30s, slathering salve on the wounds, I'm re-defining resolution.

Success isn't about following the formula, it's about reformulating to make things work.

So, this year, my first resolution:

"I can ..."

Simple, versatile, fluid.

perfect.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jerri said...

The perfect resolution. Perfect.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Love it! Take an A!

9:03 PM  
Blogger riversgrace said...

Is this hope sprouting? Hope rising from the ashes, collected in the crawling? From the darkness, light.

Blessings, holly. I hold your resolution in my prayers...as I search for mine.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

A perfect post for today. How to make a real resolution... I like yours, I may just copy it...

And yes, you can.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Ask Me Anything said...

Beautiful.

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home