28 February 2007

extra batteries

(Batteries not included - epilogue)

Here at Casa de What's-My-Name it's always a holiday. We can take a single Hallmark moment and stretch it into a couple months. We LOVE holidays.

Or, one of us loves holidays. I just smile and continue to fill the trick-or-treat buckets with pretend candy until Thanksgiving. For weeks after Chrismakah Amelia wraps plastic animals and Polly Pockets in tissue for Josie.

Valentines Day begins in the second week of January, just after the Christmas tree at Scott's comes down. The tree comes down, the hearts go up. Amelia is a slave-driver. More hearts Mommy, cut out more hearts. I said MORE HEARTS, bitch. NOW.

She ducks into her room on Valentines Day. End of the day, we've already discussed that the presents in the car were left by Daddy. "Well," she asks, "if daddy left the balloons and toys what did cupid bring?"

"Cupid doesn't bring things," I tell her.

"When did cupid come," she's not getting it. "Did he come when I was sleeping?"

"No. It was dad. Dad left the toy in the car for you. Cupid is pretend."

Oh.

She ducks into the bedroom, demanding privacy and shuts the door behind her. Mid-week the floor in her room could be the photo shoot for an I Spy book. If I wanted to find anything of mine that's been left in the girls' room the search would go longer than the marathon holiday.

If there is no cupid, Amelia's taking over. She re-emerges with packages for Josie and me. Josie gets a plastic dog, a plastic girl and a plastic chair that belong with the plastic house at Scott's.

She hands me a tote bag.

"Here mom," she pushes into my belly. "These are all your things. They shouldn't be in my room. They are not for kids."

I open the bag. What does cupid have for me? One sock, a screw driver and three AA batteries.

Happy Valentine's Day Senoir Bunny.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so funny! I love how easily that seems to come when you let it. Love how

Of course, you do have a little bit of an advantage in some cases having such hilarious and adorable kids.

(I do think I got more Valentines from Amelia than anyone else, now that I think about it.)

1:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS Since it's late and I checked out of my comment before it was done...

I meant to say, I love the way you fit stories together so perfectly.

1:40 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

What a perfect epilogue to Batteries Not Included, that hilarious post I heard about long before I had the pleasure to meet you.

Okay, I need to do some shopping now.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Perfect epilogue. Your energetic girls come through on the "page" in all their joy and exhausting ways.

7:27 AM  
Blogger kario said...

Love the 'I Spy photo shoot' part - how true is that? You captured it perfectly, Holly!

I also love that you dove right in and wrote. You are a wonder, fatigue and all.

Finally, I love that your daughter gives you these little gifts all the time. What a dear, dear girl.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Jerri said...

Almost as good as the original!

I'm with Jess. You fit stories together so perfectly and with such grace.

I'll wait however long it takes to get more of this, Holly.

12:08 PM  
Blogger riversgrace said...

Ok, still laughing from the first one. And love that you were given a divine sign (on Valentine's Day!) that love and pleasure are yours. Love and pleasure. Let's make it a mantra. Love and pleasure!

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so enjoy the rhythm of your writing... This is perfect, Holly, and hilarious! xo

5:48 PM  
Blogger Deb Shucka said...

What a powerhouse Amelia is! I wonder how much of you she reflects. You make me laugh see your life so clearly. This is how!

5:54 PM  
Blogger Jerri said...

BTW---Love the irony of "Casa What's My Name."

5:30 AM  
Blogger Monica said...

This is hilarious! I love how one holiday blends into the next with no separation. That sounds oddly familiar as Easter (which we don't even celebrate) has invaded my family room already. Scary.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Ask Me Anything said...

hysterical!

7:58 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

Move to New York! there's a place called "Battery Park".....you'll never run out!

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home