06 March 2007

finding rest: part one

Sometimes it’s easy to forget the mountains all around. I’m in the car with Josie after dropping Amelia at school. What I can see of her when I find the right spot in the rear rear view mirror is blond curls and cereal bar extras stuck around her month. Closed eyes, head slumped into the side of her car seat. What I can see outside is gray solid to the horizon, the sky and the pavement, until they merge. After weeks of opaque skies the mountains just stop being there.

Amelia is at preschool for a couple hours. I am running errands with Josie. Where though? I can’t remember where I am going, or why. The rain doesn’t look real. Nothing does. My body can’t hold the weight of itself. Feels like it can’t maintain the weight of anything. Won’t produce anything but water and salt. A deluge. I stop at the light, shifting down to neutral and admiring the way my hand trembles as it lifts from the stick. There is a white mini-van in front of me, the light, then space. All the empty space ahead and I am terrified. Pull the other hand from the steering wheel to compare, the pair shake in unison. All week it’s been this way with the tears and tremors. A drug I haven’t taken and can’t come down from. I forget things.

I know something now. I need help. Such a simple sentence, and the hardest thing to say. I need rest and I need help and if I don’t find both soon, I will find them in a hospital bed. It’s not what I say. Instead, it’s hard but fine. I’m doing fine, busy but O.K. is how I tell it. I lie. And, I need help. Three words, so simple. So impossible. Anything but that. It comes in waves, this sanity tide, and recedes to negatives in the night. Those middle of the night knowings. It’s coming. It’s coming.

I don’t know how I old I was when I understood I’d go crazy one day. Small. For sure they would haul me to the Funny Farm and lock me there forever. Didn’t know what that meant, crazy. Didn’t know how it rises up from the body, overtaking the mind. A slow root rot invisible in the earth until the tree begins to topple. And is it too late then? Can any amount of nutrients right it?

I’m five or six-years-old cowered in the tiled shower in the bathroom that connects my parents’ bedroom to mine. My sister laughs above the sirens outside, “They’re coming to get you. They’re coming to take you away … Haha. Hoho. Hehe … They’re coming to take you away.”

She’s 13 or 14 and I know she’s teasing, trying to scare me the way she does in the dark. Leans her head over the top bunk above me, cackling: “I’ll get you my pretty. And your little dog too.” Cackling until I scream.

I pull the glass door closed, make myself tiny in the corner. Hold my face to the cool tiles until the sirens pass. She is right. She thinks she’s teasing. She’s right. I know what crazy is. It surges from my center - an energy I can’t hold, building until I scream at nothing. Only crazy people scream for no reason.


Sometimes it’s like watching. Not me. Watching someone else fall apart, but feeling it, too. It’s fascinating. Visceral. Who knew that falling apart comes as much from the body as it does the brain? Nervous breakdown. Breakdown of the nervous system. Duh!. Nerves. It’s a physical thing, these trembles.

Breakdown. Overwhelmed until I can’t do anything. Can’t write a check. Can’t check my messages. Can’t make a phone call. All this stuff that always needs doing and I can’t. So I don’t. And it doesn’t get done, keeps growing and piling. I lay in bed feeling my nerve endings unwrap one by one. I want to stop it and I don’t. I’m terrified and comforted all at once. When this melt comes I will have rest. I will have help.

to be continued

10 Comments:

Blogger kario said...

Asking for help was the hardest thing I ever did, especially because of my kids. But it was also the best thing I ever did for myself and my kids. Your body is telling you what it needs - rest and refill your cup. You've emptied it on everyone else. It's time to fill yourself up now, Holly. Show your girls that you love yourself enough to do that. Let someone take care of you for a while. You deserve it.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Holly - You MUST let others help you. Scott needs to take the girls for 2 weeks straight. You need to call you boss and arrange a few days/weeks off. You need to sleep, eat, sleep, eat, and get properly medicated! You are BRAVE for admitting you need help. I am PROUD of you. Of COURSE you need help! WTF???

5:49 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I'm with Kario: asking for help is so hard to do, and so vital. If only more people could do it, because everyone needs it sometimes. Being open about how you're struggling, putting it into the world, already robs it of some of its power. You are no longer alone in the dark with these struggles--you've thrown on the light and opened the door. It's time to let people in to help you and share this load.

Please keep posting on everything and let us share this with you.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Jerri said...

How can we help, Holly?

Is there anything, anything at all, I can do from here? Whatever it might be, e-mail me and I'll get on it right away.

I know the feeling you're describing, know it deep in my bones.

But we're here and we care deeply. We've got your back, love. Tell us what you need.

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holly, thank you for finding words for the struggle. What a gift you have.

I wish I was there in Portland to help you directly.

Your life is so hard right now -- but it won't always be. The pendulum is swinging even as we speak, it can't help itself. In the meantime, your work is to rest and reach out for the help you need. There is nothing more important than your health and well-being. Feel the love in this room, from all over the country. We're with you. xo t

9:05 PM  
Blogger Deb Shucka said...

Holly, you need to read your own words and than do for yourself the thing you would tell your best friend to do. I'm so proud of you for asking for help. Listen to Auntie Carrie and get yourself away. I'm just across the river and right here in words for you every day. All you have to do is ask. Sending lots of love and blessings your way.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Monica said...

You are right in the thick of it. You DO need rest, you DO need to be held. You DO need help. You need it because you are asking for it. The hardest thing in this world is to admit we need help and you are courageous for admitting it. It's terrifying. I know it. You are precious, Holly, and worthy and perfect.
Keep writing and let us know how you are.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

I'm so glad you posted this, it's awesome writing. And brave.

And you will have help. I know, because some of it is right here.

Big love.

8:07 AM  
Blogger riversgrace said...

I can't find the words here. Been thinking about you all night. Close your eyes and know that you are not alone.

Sometimes we do have to be taken apart. In shamanic traditions this is a great boon. When one feels 'crazy' they are recognized as being ready for initiation. There is a larger process going on here, and our culture does little to support it - and yet it happens anyway. It requires big letting go and the acceptance of others to help hold you while the elements undo then put you back together again.

The biggest suffering is the stubborness of trying to do it alone. We are just not meant to do any of this alone.

This writing is is an open door. Keep going.

Love you.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Ask Me Anything said...

I had to take a leave of absence from work. TWICE. Reach out, it's there.

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home