12 April 2007

dude, where's my car

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
~Robert Hunter

A few things I learned today: 
1. Easy come, easy go. 
2. In fact, someone (besides me) would want my piece o’crap car (that ran beautifully and that I LOVED.)
3. Someone (besides me) would want my 18-year-old piece o’crap car, despite smashed-up front end and broken driver’s side lock. 
4. In fact, many people (besides me) want my car. The ’89 Toyota Camry is the most stolen car in America (I know? I couldn’t believe it either.) 
5. Thieves have no manners. I mean, come on, you couldn’t leave the car seats and sweet Giant, Aluminum, powder pink tricycle on the sidewalk before taking it? 
6. My key, the one that now leads to a bare patch of pavement, will work in almost any late 80s Camry or Corolla if I dull the teeth with a file. (Thanks for the handy tip Officer Doug! - if mine doesn’t turn up I can go grab another.) 

A few things I'm grateful for today:
1. I went out to the car to get my computer yesterday.
2. I went out to the car to get my briefcase yesterday.
3. I went out to the car to get my purse yesterday.
4. I can always count on sage words from my mom. "OH HOLLY. Auchhhh. STOLEN? Auuchhh. What do you mean stolen? It wasn't there? Did you call the police?"
5. Tri-Met.

15 Comments:

Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

So sorry!

5:22 AM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Is it wrong to laugh? Your mom needs to meet my mom. My mom would have wound up the victim in all this somehow!

What I hope this means is they stripped your car and you'll get low Blue Book, and be back in "new" wheels soon!

6:49 AM  
Blogger holly said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:15 AM  
Blogger holly said...

no, not wrong. Laughter is the most appropriate response!

12:06 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

Shit.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

Shit.

12:25 PM  
Blogger riversgrace said...

I swear - is it just a law that more gets taken when we go through big loss?

Ditto Carrie. And Suzy. Shit.

I'm envisioning a fat reimbursement check and a new set of wheels SOON.

2:29 PM  
Blogger kario said...

I am sending a shout out to the universe to manifest the perfect solution for you and your girls. A car that some little old lady has only driven to the store once a week for the past five years and now she's decided she's too old to drive anymore. Complete with A/C and a CD player and power locks.

And I'm hoping for a short karma cycle for the bastards who took your car.

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holly, if it's helpful at all, I had a van stolen out of the parking lot at Old Wives' Tales in 2002. Someone took it up to the Vancouver area. I got it back a few days later. It actually had more stuff in it than when it was stolen!

In the meantime, TriMet will get you there ~ sorry for the stress this is adding to your life... praying for a speedy resolution.

xo t

8:09 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Yeah, shit.

Well, I just spent all day with two girls who are psyched to have manifested brand new car seats.

And you, I think may need to manifest a nicer car now?

How about the 94 Civic? I think I'll replace my car alarm thingy now.

So glad all your stuff was out of the car! So glad you are doing OK about this, laughing.

Big love!

8:49 PM  
Blogger Deb Shucka said...

So impressed that you can laugh, be grateful and see the bright side. So sorry you're having the inconvenience. Adding my love and vision for better than what you lost.

Looking forward to reading chapter 2 of this story!

7:43 AM  
Blogger Jerri said...

Enough already!

That whole "that which does not kill you makes you stronger" thing? Stinks! You're a strong woman. Really strong. You've proven that over and over.

Hell, I'd want to bitch-slap the world, but you can laugh.

Damn, I'm sorry you have to deal with this.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Alijah Fitt said...

Bastards!
first I thought I was on Mystic wing's site (mis-click from Jerri's) and I was going to comment, "you have a purse?".
I am hoping Tri-Met is an insurance company and you have full coverage.
also-I heard a story about a man
whose car was stolen and it had his thesis in it. He didn't want the car, just the thesis he had been working on for three years. Thank goodness you got your stuff out the day before, really.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Holy shit! Holly, I am SO sorry!

But MAN, what a terrific post--how the hell can you be so damn funny about this?! I am in awe.

Also SO grateful that you got your computer and your purse, and also hoping that there is at least a good insurance payout in your future.

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home