23 March 2007

learning to see: part 2

I am attached to my plan. Clinging to my plan. Bear-hold, death-grip, white-knuckled holding on to this vision of me and the big blue sea. It's going to go my way. First there is struggle, damn this mama bear instinct, this ocean dream dissipating into the want of snuggling my baby on couch. Wrapping her in the security of her blue dragonfly quilt and settling in for another screening of ScoobyDoo meets The Wherewolf. Unt-uh. No. She is with her grandmother. What's more comforting than a Grammy? I push aside the hesitation left by my mother-in-law's question: "Should I take her to school?" asked while Amelia is vomiting.

First I dial Prema, where I know I'll find wisdom, another mama's opinion. Then Jess. Digits are flipping, numbers getting larger. If I spend too much time agonzing over this decision, the clock will make it for me. It will be too late to go.

"Come over," I tell Jess, still typing quotes from the Honda spokesman into my story as we talk. "Just come, and I'll decide while you're on the way. If it gets much later, it's going to be pointless." Wheels turning. Decision made.

Portland is all blossoms, pink and white and purple. Colors on the trees, on the ground; Camillas and daffodils and tulips. Colors that blur in streaks behind us as we climb into the green of the Coast Range, far-off gauzy ridgelines coming sharp into focus. I'm holding a spicy black bean burger in one hand and letting go of my guilt with the other. Before leaving town we stop at Scott's brother's to check on Amelia, and say hello to her visiting grandparents. The whole thing is awkward, Scott's mom and I trying too hard to be business as usual while his dad sits stone-faced on the couch. Amelia clings to my leg. "Pleeeeaaaaase mommy. Please can you change your plan? I want to go home. They said you'd come take me home."

We work it out, Amelia and me. I lay on my back, in the guest room, bed beneath me, Amelia on my belly. We talk, nose to nose, and I explain. "You're safe with Grammy, Sweetie. I would never leave you if it didn't feel ok to me. If you still feel sick tomorrow you can come home to mama's. We'll snuggle under blankets and watch movies and eat popsicles."

"Nooooooo. Today," she whines, turning to lay her check on my shoulder. "I want you today."

"I know sweetie. And, today Grammy is taking care of you. She'll take good care of you," my hand over her hair, to her back (not fever-warm.) "Today I need to do something for me. So I can be a better mom for you. I need to take care of me, to take care of you."

Maybe she understands. Maybe she doesn't. But she accepts it. And I let go of the judgments projected onto her grammy, but spoken from my head: "How selfish. How cold. Only a monster leaves her sick child so she can go play."

And in the car Jess reminds me what they think of me is none of my business. What I know about thier opinions of me is only in my head anyway.

Conversation carries us through the mountains, winding two-lanes through dense green to the open end of the sky. Don't notice the stereo, same CD repeating too low to hear. Don't notice the changes in the sky unill there, on the western slopes, it narrows into mist. Then drizzle all around.

to be continued ...

6 Comments:

Blogger riversgrace said...

So nice to see you back here, Holly. Can you imagine if our mothers had said those things to us? How they need to take care of themselves? How maybe we would not feel guilty to take a moment, not wait until we're on our last leg to tend to our own needs if they had taught us that it's ok - absolutely necessary. I think it's a gift, even if it's hard for both of you now.

11:24 PM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

You handled Amelia PERFECTLY. You assured her you love her, she's safe, you'll be back, and you'll be even better when you come back. Take an A.

6:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perfect, Holly. I love the way you write, the integration of nature and body and mind -- just perfect. I always look forward to more from you. xxoo t

6:39 AM  
Blogger Jerri said...

"Colors that blur in streaks behind us as we climb into the green of the Coast Range, far-off gauzy ridgelines coming sharp into focus."

Gorgeous, Holly. Simply gorgeous.

As the mother of (mostly) grown kids, I have to echo the others. You not only did the best thing for you, you did the best thing for Amelia. She will remember this and the memory will be a thing of strength for her.

So happy to have the chance to roll around in your words and images, Holly. Will be here for more when you're ready.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

THANK GOD YOU WENT. Lucky for me, I was late coming to your last post so was able to read this post directly after and learn the ending (which is the beginning!).

You were so wonderful with Amelia, I could just see that sweet, loving moment together when you were her dearly loving mother AND a terrific role model.

You need this time--EVERYONE DOES--and you will be so much better for them for it. Enjoy Holly!

6:00 PM  
Blogger Ask Me Anything said...

so pround of you, Holly. Prema's exactly right. We didn't learn it, but in teaching our daughter's how critical it is to care for ourselves, we give them a wonderful gift.

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home