26 December 2007

new do

The number one thing you don't want to hear from your child, or anyone else for that matter, after getting that new hair cut.

Josie climbs into my lap, her small hands on both of my shoulders. She pushes up to a stand, one barefoot on each of my thighs, and looks down at the top of my head.

I've just come home from a hair cut that opened with me telling the woman with the scissors. "I don't have a real vision of what I want it to look like when you're done. I want something kind of funky, just not too short or too big. Just do whatever you think will look cool."

Josie sizes up the results, looks her blue eyes right into mine, keeps her mouth a straight line of expressionlessness. "Mom," she says. "Your hair looks funny."

"Oh," I say. "Well, what do you mean by funny? Funny how? Funny like, not good or funny like you LOVE it."

"Ma-awm," she says. "You look like grandma."


Anyone want a three-year-old?

6 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

I do! But only if she promises not to tell me my hair is grey!

Now tell us, what do YOU think of the hair? I bet it's super funky!

9:00 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

I'll take joint-custody with Carrie. I never get interesting haircuts so I'm safe.

I think it was Willa who told me I had a lot of grey hairs.

1:35 AM  
Blogger Ask Me Anything said...

My niece just said to me, "Aunt Terry--you don't just SOUND like Grandma, you LOOK like her, too" Yee Haa!

11:17 AM  
Blogger kario said...

I hate that 3-year-old honesty! Well, only when it is directed at me. I'll never forget the day my youngest expressed her consternation when my father-in-law was heading out for a haircut. She whipped his baseball cap off of his head, peered at the top of him and announced, "Why? You don't even have very much hair!" I think I sprained something trying to contain my laughter.

7:34 PM  
Blogger riversgrace said...

Oh, Josie-cakes! Silly girl. I know for sure because I saw it before she did, that the do is super cool. Love it.

River says (more than once), "Mama, you a guy?" And the other one that trips me out, "Mama, you Holly?"

Let their mystery remain!

1:54 AM  
Blogger hg said...

Thanks, Prem!

And Carrie, took a few days to figure out what I think of the hair. Always does when the change is so big.

Survey Says: I love it!

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home