15 April 2007

forest dreams (google earth part II)

All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream
~Poe
The first thing I remember is a dream. I'm three or four-years-old and I have this reoccurring dream where my best friend and I have found a secret key in my grandmother’s closet leading to an invisible door behind her nightstand. We get the key, climb behind the nightstand and a tiny door appears so small we have to crawl through it. I turn the key and crouch to duck my head under the frame, Hallie follows me. It opens to a diving board above my back yard so when we walk to the end we are over the middle of the yard. When we jump we are in the woods behind my house. Not a forest, just woods. The trees are thin enough to walk between without a trail and you can see the houses on my street and the next one over the whole way. We walk four or five houses up, still in the woods, and come to a swimming pool in small park. Swings, slide, merry-go-round and these horse swings, the whole place feels like magic. Enchanted. The first time we visit the playground it’s summer, the next time it’s fall, then winter, then spring. Maybe I dreamed it over and over, one journey after another, in the same night. Maybe it was every night for a week? I don’t know.

All I know is how real it felt. I stand at the foot of my sister's twin bed in the gray pre-dawn grabbing strands of orange and yellow shag carpet with my toes. I’m talking fast, excited, and she’s still sleepy eyes. If I’m four, she’s 14.

“It was a dream,” she tells me. “You went there in your sleep. There is no playground in the woods. There is no swimming pool in the woods. It didn't really happen”

There is no convincing me. I was there and I know what I know. I look to my other sister in the top bunk for back-up, but she never has my back. She's 12 and I drive her crazy, in return she terrorizes me. Leans down over the side of the top bunk in the dark and cackles like the Wicked Witch of the West.

"It's just a dream," she says. "Go back to bed."

My Grandma and uncle, my mom's younger brother, live with us in the house on Longhill Dr. They each have a room. My brother has a room. My parents have a room. My sisters and I share the biggest bedroom, which feels like living in a red and yellow shag carpeted stable with John Denver. My Mickey Mouse poster gets one tiny corner of real estate on the wall, the horses and John Denver's goofy grin dominate the rest. At two I can sing Point me in the direction of Albuquerque and everyone thinks it's hilarious that a two-year-old can say Albuquerque. At five I can do most of The Beatles catalog.

"It did happen. It is there. Hallie can tell you, I know she'll remember going."

I'm dressed and in the woods with Hallie by the time the sun is up. I'm asking her how far she thinks it is. She, of course, has no idea what I'm talking about but she goes along with me.

For years after I concede that it was just a dream I tramp through the woods looking for that park. We laugh at the dinner table about that dream I thought was real, how silly, and into college, on weekend visits I still occasionally rummage through my Grandma Rose's closet sure I will eventually find the key. It never surfaces. I never fully subscribe to the dream theory because its as vivid as anything in my memory. The view across the yards from the diving board. The snow frosting the playground and pool.

So, I'm using Google Earth the other night to float over my childhood and there in the woods, exactly where it should be, should always have been, right in the place I could never find it: a bright blue spot that could only be a swimming pool.

10 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

I love this, love the dream, love the bedroom. This explains something about why your kids can sing John Prine songs already, though maybe not John Denver.

I saw that pool in the woods, I can vouch for it.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

Beautiful, beautiful writing. How many other dreams did you have that you are about to find? I bet lots.
Keep searching, everything is there Holly.

5:26 AM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Hmmmmmmm. I'm swimming in a head of awe for this writing!

6:57 AM  
Blogger kario said...

Wow! This is so great. Maybe the key is your writing and its ability to take you to places nobody ever thought possible. I love the description of your bedroom and the way you were relegated to such a small space. No wonder you needed the woods...

10:02 AM  
Blogger Deb Shucka said...

I've got goose bumps. This is powerful, magical and poignant all at the same time. I read this with Jess's pictures of Josie in my head. This will be traveling with me for a very long time.

I'm with Suzy. I'd love for you to keep exploring these dreams that are something much more.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Jerri said...

Holy Smokes, Holly. This story kind of gives me the willies. Freaky and fabulous.

Gotta love that GoogleEarth. Love that you are using it to "float over your childhood."

Float on, girl. Let me tie my inner tube to yours. Will drift for days, lost amidst playgrounds and diving boards and little girls who know that "reality" is bigger than most people recognize.

10:10 PM  
Blogger riversgrace said...

Did you ever imagine then that now you would still be thinking about that magical place? I think we exist simultaneously as different ages, all NOW. What if the dream was last night? What if this is part of the dream?

As always, wonderful writing. On top of that, full presence.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Ask Me Anything said...

Wow. How cool. How awesome. Keep going.

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No way! Love it! So powerful, Holly. Just think: how would you have ever found that pool w/o Google Earth? Bizarre and kooky and so, so lovely, all of it.

I love Prema's belief that we exist as simultaneous versions of our selves, all now. Isn't it strange how some dreams, some memories stick so well, while others float on? Here is your vision manifest. It would be interesting to find out when that pool went in.

I can feel that shag with my own toes... and what's wrong with John Denver??? :)

xoxoxo

5:05 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Holy smokes! Creepy and fabulous!

So if this is the power of Google Earth, wouldn't be cool if there was a Google People or, along the lines of Prema's idea, Google Time? Hmmm....

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home