14 July 2007

one branch higher


I'm at the office working, or not working, to the florescent computer buzz. My phone rings, the same lullaby as Josie's mobile. Two-years ago it was endearing, now I have no idea how to change it. It's just annoying.

"Hello."

"Hi, Mama!" Amelia's sweet excitement.

"Hi, Sweetie. Whatcha doing?"

"Mom. Mommy, mom. Mom. You won't BELIEVE what I just did!"

"Yeah? Try me."

"I climbed SO high in this tree. I just climbed up, up, up. I was higher than the six and seven-year-old BOYS!"

"Wow. That is so cool. You rock. How fun was it?"

"Well...it was really fun. And then it was a little scary. So you know what? You want to know what? You want to know what I did when I started to feel scared?"

"Love to. Tell me what you did."

"Well... first I just stopped. Then I told myself 'don't panic. You're OK. You're OK. Don't panic.' And I breathed and kept saying 'doooon't panic, doooon't panic."

"Perfect. What a smart thing to tell yourself. I bet that really helped."

"It did. AND you know what else? You want to know what else I did? Well, every time I thought I was stuck, I just told myself 'Don't panic. Just climb back up one branch and look for another route. It's ok. You got up here, so there has to be a way down.' And I did it. I climbed right down. Then I climbed back up even higher because I knew I could do it. The boys were scared to climb so high."

"Amelia, Mila, that is SO awesome! I am so proud of you. And the great thing is you can use that anytime you feel scared. Breathe and tell yourself not to panic. That's perfect."

"Yeah, I know that. I gotta go climb again."

10 Comments:

Blogger Deb Shucka said...

Your daughter is wisdom personified! I love that she outclimbed the boys. Think I'll go find a tree to climb.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Deb Shucka said...

Your daughter is wisdom personified! I love that she outclimbed the boys. Think I'll go find a tree to climb.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Yup, I dig it. And, I miss her! Tell her I miss her.

Ya know, I've hung out with a few 5-year-old girls lately, and they were cool and all, but... well. They weren't her. What a rock star.

That reminds me of some pictures I have of her in my phone. I better get them out of there.

Great post.

8:42 PM  
Blogger kario said...

What a treasure that girl is! Don't you love it when they call you just to share their triumphs? I'm wondering where she gets such wisdom - couldn't be her mama, could it?

Love.

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wise little girl. It is a good reminder to all of us, when we are scared, breathe, don't panic and keep going. Perfect.

I also loved that she outclimbed the little boys. She rocks!

This post made my night. Thanks.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Take an A, Mom. Who taught her that shit? GREAT snippet, too, so much with so few wonderfully chosen words! You did a great job of showing,not telling us about Amelia!

6:49 AM  
Blogger Jerri said...

Perfect. Amelia, the post, all of it: Perfect.

Thank her for me, will you? Some of the best advice ever: "Don't panic. Just climb back up one branch and look for another route. It's ok. You got up here, so there has to be a way down."

12:13 PM  
Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

Awesome! I'll have to teach Riley that one.

Don't panic!

6:43 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Wow, that little girl has a lot to teach us! I hope I remember this great lesson the next time I need it.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Writer said...

Well, every time I thought I was stuck, I just told myself 'Don't panic. Just climb back up one branch and look for another route.

Exactly the words I needed today! Thank you for you wise daughter! So wise!
Lee

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home