04 May 2007

tin soldiers and nixon coming

My first political memory is all wrong.

It's Kent State, but not the massacre that happened 37 years ago today. No way could it be that. I was 6-and-a-half months old on May 4, 1970. I don't remember the U.S. invasion of Cambodia. I don't remember angry students burning the ROTC building or Gov. James Rhodes calling in the National Guard. But I remember Kent.

I remember driving out to Kent, mid-70's, about 45 minutes from my house through Ravenna, past the Ravenna Arsenal, where Ohio turns from flat to beautiful low rolling hills. We were going to visit my cousin and ice-skate, me on double blades in the rink. The wounds at Kent hadn't fully scabbed over, students were still hurt and pissed-off, and doubly so because all the talk that spring was about a new recreation center slated for construction on Blanket Hill above the commons - right over top of the ground where those kids were killed. As we drove through campus in the light blue, wood-panel Country Squire wagon everyone talked how it was dis-respectful to break that ground so soon. Other people were thinking it was time to move on. And, the sooner the better.

I got that four kids had been shot to death. I got that. But I didn't get the context so my mind filled in the blanks. I can still show the the picture it drew. Four students sitting on a blanket - Blanket Hill - having a picnic, bottle of wine. It's dark and out of nowhere a sniper comes by and picks them off. That's it. Funny. I can't figure out why I'd come up with that scene. I mean, I grew up eating dinner to the nightly news. I must have known Vietnam and protests and body counts and I don't remember any of that. I remember my first trip to Kent and my own vision of four kids killed drinking wine on a picnic blanket.

Kent State is HUGE in my memory. Near the top of every childhood fear. It goes Wicked Witch of the West and then Kent. The place still spooks me. Wicked was all the therapy I needed to finally find compassion for Elphaba and let go of that witch. Somewhere inside I knew that was just a story, too. Pretend. But Kent, Kent State was for real.

Kent State was right next door. It was the sixth grade teacher who, in 1980, 10 years after the shootings, told us she was so thankful for having cut class that day. If she had been where she should have, she'd have been crossing the commons at noon. She'd have been crossing the fire.

Kent State was the bullet hole through a sculpture outside of Taylor Hall, the journalism building. It was a trip to campus 1988 to see The Alarm sing Spirit of '76 in a lecture hall. I went with my first "real" boyfriend, Mark. We walked the commons and he showed me that bullet hole and I came home with a black t-shirt with the outline of a flower sticking out from the barrel of a gun and the words "Flowers are better than bullets" Allison Krause, May 3, 1970, printed on the front. On the back it said "We will not forget."

Across a row of dorm windows "National Guard 4, Kent State 0." We we're both students at branch campus that spring. Both living at home. At 18 I would have followed Mark just about anywhere. Anywhere but Kent. In fall 1988 he went there and I went to Columbus.

Kent State is the Memorial dedication and annual candlelight vigil I covered for my student paper in 1990, 20-years after the shootings. Walking just behind one of the victims' family.

Kent State is the re-occurring backdrop for my dreams and nightmares, popping back up in the strangest of places. Still. It's me in a dream in college running trough the memorial, lost and looking for my mom. Dark. It's a dream I had a few days into my first pregnancy, Amelia. In that dream Scott and I are going to visit someone in the hospital. We're driving through Kent's campus. Across a row of dorm windows, in pink block letters: "It's a GIRL."

I know the context now. I know the images. I know that the tragedy is not just the kids who should be grandparents now, it's also the guardsmen - kids themselves. Earlier this week, finally, proof. It was not an accident. It was not one frightened, itchy trigger finger that sparked 67 shots in 13 seconds hitting 13 students, four of them fatally. It was a command.

This week the evidence. A reel-to-reel tape recorded out a dorm window caught the command "Right here! Get Set! Point! Fire!"

We will not forget.

7 Comments:

Blogger riversgrace said...

Powerful. That's all I can say....because it's so...powerful. And beautiful because of the way that you bring it right down into the personal space, a place of every day experience that I can climb into so easily. You give these big events and moments an entry point that's so ordinary but so meaningful.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

So funny what kids minds do to things to make sense of them. (And then there's my adult mind, which was wondering how Alison Krauss got involved in Kent State, but I'm over that now).

Really just ditto what Prema said, you have way of making big moments so ordinary and accessible, and more ordinary moments so remarkable... I never really had any particular connection to this, but now I do.

Thanks.

12:09 AM  
Blogger Suzy said...

I remember Kent State. I was out of high school for 4 years and saw but couldn't believe the footage.

Beautiful, beautiful writing Holly.
Brings me right back to that day.

6:38 AM  
Blogger susan said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:46 AM  
Blogger susan said...

I loved reading this post, with your memories and fears entwined and described so well.

I remember Kent State vividly, as my sister was college-age at the time, I read the morning and evening papers every day, and my parents let me watch the evening news every night. I was seven years old.

I remember memorizing the lyrics to the CSN&Y song, too ...

I, too, heard this week on NPR that old files have been opened proving that higher-ups indeed ordered the National Guard to fire at will.

And it only took 37 years to confirm what we already knew.

3:52 AM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Ditto Prema. You must have some past-life connection to all this, something bigger that this incarnation is what I'm thinking.

7:16 AM  
Blogger Monica said...

Holly, I love this. I love how personal this is for you. The images it brought up in your imagination as a child, the bullet hole, your boyfriend, Mark. The whole tone of this is so accessible and yet, so profound at the same time.

12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home