04 January 2008

north central pacific gyre

It's 5:28, do you know where your used plastic is? Let me tell you. If it wasn't recycled and didn't make it to the landfill, chances are it's swirling around a ginormous ocean vortex A floating trash heap twice the size of Texas. This is where every stray piece of anything quietly dropped into a sewer lands, anything dropped into a river, stream or over the rail of a boat. About 10 million tons floating in the sea breaking down into tiny bit sized pieces. The fish eat it, and then so do you.

5 Comments:

Blogger My Own Woman said...

How disturbing.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

OMG, I was already a recycling FANATIC, now I'm going to have to get downright OBNOXIOUS! That's OK, I've had practice!

7:39 AM  
Blogger Kapuananiokalaniakea said...

Staggering statistics! I had NO idea.

9:58 AM  
Blogger kario said...

Ugh. So glad I've given up bottled water and grocery bags. Makes you want to go ballistic, doesn't it?

9:00 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Seriously disturbing. Gross. I do wonder what percentage is water bottles.

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home