25 April 2007

4 a.m.

Half-way through the night and half-way through a year. Half-way between 37 and 38. And just halfway between. It's 4 a.m. I've been here six months. Happy 1/2 year blogiversary to me.

The birds are already chirping

It's weeks, not even weeks - one week and change - after I leave my marriage this blog begins. The apartment reeks of gas and fresh paint. Boxes are stacked against the walls. Every thing is bare white. Every night is like this one, sleepless. All of my plants are withering, the African Violet down to just three leaves. I have no idea how I can do this, no idea how I can't.

If the jagged fragments were not preserved in white on black, I wouldn't remember a fucking thing. Amazing how quickly the brain dismembers pain. Three months pass between the day I say I'm going and the day the U-Haul's loaded. The days between all begin with a haiku on the bathroom mirror. Every single fucking day. My stomach twists up into itself, but I can't pull the post-it's down, They multiply on the glass until just a tiny space is left to catch my reflection. And it's six-months before that when I'm done. Jump 10,000 feet into the open sky to know that I can do anything. I can jump.

Today is long, one long day. I'm off and my girls read it. Truth is, I don't want to be a mom today. So inconveiniant to wake with stories in my head kicking to write themselves when these little people need tending. SO annoying. Everyone feels it. Josie fights with Amelia all day. What the hell was I thinking? Certainly not about the 15-hour days brushing hair, brushing teeth, changing diapers, changing socks, zipping jackets, wiping butts, making meals and snacks and piles of little folded clothes warm from the dryer. Not ever that my five-year-old could push so hard with words that I shove her out of the bed before I can stop my hands. Never. But I do tonight.

And I hate myself.

I'm ruining them
. I think. Everything they knew, I've hammered into pieces.

Fifeteen-hours later, my mind mushy, muscles calcified, feels like a dried riverbed along my back, rocks digging out from the chair. On the computer, a slide-show of everything I've taken: Amelia and Josie barefoot smelling flowers in the big back yard, playing in the pillow fort in front of the picture window, curled up with Scott and me on the Loveseat. If it just could have been like the pictures and not so easy to mourn these visions of what never was. Some pictures speak a thousand words, 900 of them lies.

This slide show doesn't tell a thing about the anger in this grinning four-year-old. Doesn't show the day I'm called to pick her up early from school because she's had her hands around another kid's throat, hit and bitten the teacher. Laying in the bedtime dark she says the best part of the day was choking Steffen. I can feel the grin, sociopath rising. They don't show that and they don't show this child a year later, happy and easy in her skin, easy with her friends. Don't show how she walks away when she is pushed. For the first time in five years she has peace and turns it outward. You can't see any of those things in these pictures.

Bedtime tonight she has a plan to share. Walks fast tight circles, head tucked to right shoulder, talking rapid fire flow, her legs moving with her mouth.

"OK. We'll make baskets of flowers - paper flowers, I can cut them out - and we will leave them in front of everyone's door. Then we can ring the doorbell and hide. They'll think it was a trick, but then they'll find out it was a great surprise," she walking and talking and walking.

"Good plan," I agree. "I bet they will like that."

She paces and revises. "They'll have to know who the flowers are from. So I can cut out one paper flower and a long stem so it sticks out from the rest. And I can write Amelia and Josie so people will know it was us. Or, I could just write "the sisters." They would know right? Now, Do we know names for the people who live in three and four? We know Miles lives in two, that's just across the hall. So we know that. Maybe, oh, I know, I could cut out hearts and glue them on sticks to put in the basket and write our names on those. And we could fill the rest of the basket with real flowers, but not flowers we pick. We have to find them on the ground."

She breathes in and pauses for my nod.

"Ok. I'll do the hearts right now." She moves for the door, the art supply cupboard.

"Wait, wiat. That's a fantastic idea. Let's save it for tomorrow when you have more time for cutting hearts and flowers. Right now it's getting late. How about, pick out your book."

And it goes beautifully until it does not. Stories and songs and then Amelia on Josie's bed, taunting.

"Bad baby," she's hissing. "You are bad, Josie." On and on, ignoring the direction to go back to her own bed. A shove, Amelia on the floor, cries. Fuck. We work it out, Amelia and me. Agree we've both made some terrible choices tonight, vow to work harder, be kinder. I lay in one bed then another until I can pull two blankets to two sleeping chins. Kiss cheeks and foreheads and noses. Six months.

Out in the living room the ruins of a blanket fort cling to the futon. Barely the energy to lift my arms and drop the futon to my bed.

The African Violet is blooming on the table, a half-dozen fuscia flowers from a plant that needs re-potting. Thriving. It needs bigger space.

Six months out and six months in. Half-way.

15 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Yes, the African Violet is blooming and thriving...and so are you, and so are they. There's nothing wrong with being human--you are a wonderful mom.

I love your writing--it is so vivid and immediate, and I am always right there in the moment with you.

And I love that little girl with the big plan! And her sweet little sister too.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your writing! I KNOW you'll be published. You are amazing. "A picture's worth a thousand words, 900 of them lies." OMG!!!!!!!!

You hit the nail on the head with the stream-of-consciousness talking of an ADD kid/person, and the unrelenting nature. Despite how "sweet" they are, they are SO hard to take for 15 straight hours

8:15 AM  
Blogger riversgrace said...

Holly....honey...this is my favorite piece. It's incredible. I should stopping with the words so that you get how beautiful and skillful the weave of your experience into writing. But there's so much to say....

Amidst the chaos and the shame and the struggle - this writing is the redemption. I see it twenty years out, you sitting with your girls in your house (YOUR house), reading over this piece with them and laughing.

You have come far and you will go far. It's so obvious to those of us who get to witness the unfolding of your gifts....mothering being one of them for sure!

10:42 AM  
Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

Wow. This is really beautiful writing.

Congrats on making it 1/2 way!

Congrats on thriving.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Jerri said...

My heart skipped a beat at "...a thousand words, 900 of them lies."

Like Prema, this is my favorite piece yet. SO skillful, this weaving of disparate threads into a colorful, artistic whole.

Stunning, Holly.

You can. You can. You can.

12:42 PM  
Blogger kario said...

Love yourself. Love your girls. Never apologize for yourself or your girls. You are setting such an amazing example for them - regardless of how hard it is to be a single mom, you chose what you knew was best for you. You make time and space for them and your writing and you struggle. YOu are human and they will never grow up expecting that they have to be perfect.

Love.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

I really really love this. Seriously. Maybe you had to ruminate on it for a few weeks for it to come out. Yeah, I love the line already mentioned, about pictures and lies. Especially being able to see those pictures flashing across that screen on the desk.

I love Amelia and her plans.

Progress IS happening, even though it's hard to see in the moment sometimes. And the writing absolutely will take you somewhere, no question.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Deb Shucka said...

The thousand words, 900 lies really got me, too. This is beautiful, touching and so honest. You are doing an incredibly hard thing with grace and grit - your girls, that violet and your own writing are evidence of your success.

Love.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

OK, the parts I really like here are hard to pick out because it's the whole thing, it's what you do with language and the way you seem to effortlessly make it all flow together.

"Fifteen-hours later, my mind mushy, muscles calcified, feels like a dried riverbed along my back, rocks digging out from the chair." This is great. Its the kind of sentence that could so easily have become a cliche, but absolutely does not here.

and

"Every thing is bare white. Every night is like this one, sleepless. All of my plants are withering, the African Violet down to just three leaves. I have no idea how I can do this, no idea how I can't." The way you put different ideas together so that each one is totally compelling and complimentary.

The way you make us understand the significance of what is basically a normal stressful day, how it fits into the bigger picture. Because each little piece of it is so well written.

And I get how it comes most easily at 4am. I have moments where I want to fuck the normal real world schedule so I can write all night. Sometimes I want to give myself that for a week and see what would happen. Hmm.

Let's both remember the sleep and the sanity though. And a garden?

Happy half blogiversary to you.

11:48 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

The dynamics of making it all work and write about it so eloquently is amazing. You are amazing.

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holly, it's too beautiful. Poetic and clever and painful and fluid and above all, true. Palpable writing. Beautifully, artfully, heartfully done.

Everything you said about Spanbauer's writing is true of your own. Keep digging, keep walking, keep writing, keep studying, and you and Jess both try to get some sleep :).

That "900 of them lies" line is brilliance. God how the pictures lie...!

xo
t

4:10 PM  
Blogger Julie Christine said...

Your writing is very descriptive and moving. Looking forward to reading more of your writing and getting to know you at the Sister's workshop.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Julie Christine said...

One more thing...you wanted a copy of El Progreso. I presume it is a newspaper. We don't have it in our area but if you can tell me where I can get a copy, I would be happy to bring it to you.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Ask Me Anything said...

Beautiful, beautiful writing Holly.

6:16 AM  
Blogger kaine said...

i love your writings i love the person you are so strong yet so timid.......you have to see my stuff...look deeper into me.....ill push you if you push me!

3:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home