17 April 2007

dude, THERE'S my car

A few things I learned today:
1. Easy come, easy go. Easy come back.
2. In fact, no-one else wants my piece o’crap car (that runs beautifully and that I love); they thought they did but reconsidered 40 blocks later.
3. If your piece o’crap car is stolen, illegally parked and towed, you have to pay $206 to get it out of lock down.
4. Some thieves do have manners: I mean, they jammed the screw driver into my ignition so delicately I can still use the key in it. Nothing was stolen (well, except the car) AND they unearthed things from beneath the seat I’ve spent months searching for. Thanks guys!
5. Thieves have better manners than tow truck drivers. OK, already knew that but, geez, my car was stolen and you’re making me PAY for it, is it so hard to just be nice? And, I know there’s a huge effing ding in the front end, but really that is not permission to ram it into a dead RV and add another.

A few things I’m grateful for today.
1.I don’t have to deal with finding another car.
2.I don’t have to take two buses to get Amelia to school, two to get home, two more to pick her up and another two to get home.
3.I don’t have to schlep groceries on the bus.
4.After a very long day that began with very little sleep, I stood in a post office line for an hour to claim a package (that I assumed was for my kids). Surprise! Two dear old friends (a couple of my college roommates who I haven’t talked to in months) show up in my mail with a yummy Bath and Body Works care package.
5.Several people shared gifts during Jennifer’s February workshop. Each was special because it was something of its giver, and I loved them. Then, true to form – I lost half of it. The CD from Jess, gone (thanks for sending me another copy, Tracy.) The oil from Prema, gone. The stone heart from Monica, gone. I open the driver’s side door and there, on the floor, in the middle of crumpled paper pulled out of the glove box, is the heart. Long after my piece o’crap car has stalled and faded into a funny memory I’ll still have my heart. Priceless.

12 Comments:

Blogger kario said...

Glad your car is back, I think. I really was holding out for an exciting solution, but I'm happy you found treasures in it.

I don't know about Portland, but the city of Seattle has a crime victim's fund that would cover your cost for towing. Also, check with your insurance company (although your deductible might be more than the cost). I'm glad you're not on buses today - it's pouring rain here and that makes waiting for transportation miserable.

Love.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Yeah, I was routing for a new car, too, but there's time for that! So glad you got this solved quickly, and yes, don't have to wait in the rain.

Have some good baths with that stuff!

Love you.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I was also kind of looking forward to the post about the awesome new car, but who knows if that would have happened, and this just makes the story so much better and less...mean. They didn't take it very far, it came back so quickly, and you found your heart!

You did such a great job of keeping your sense of humor about the whole thing that I wonder if somewhere inside, you could feel that it wasn't really that far away, your sweet little car!

11:39 AM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Delightful story and writing, Holly. SO glad you didn't lose the love mug! You didn't, right?

7:55 PM  
Blogger Deb Shucka said...

Hooray! A happy ending. And a great new story to tell - which you have done with your usual flair and humor. And now you'll know where to look the next time you lose something. . .

Love!

8:42 PM  
Blogger Ask Me Anything said...

I sent this story to tons of my friends today. So perfect!

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, now we're both in the "got it stolen, got it back" club. Congratulations on the great news. Love all the up-side you're seeing here.

Onward!

xo t

3:11 PM  
Blogger riversgrace said...

Love your wit, Holly. So funny. I hate tow guys, too, but so glad you got the car back, and all the mementos living within. Always something to be grateful way and you have the greatest way of painting that picture.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

Wow, what a story!

Glad you got your heart back. Funny how a little rock would be so important, but it is. It totally is.

7:00 AM  
Blogger kaine said...

could all these things be a way of showing u that its time to let go of some stuff, lol or to place them in better places?

11:23 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Very funny and what a great perspective.

6:20 AM  
Blogger Monica said...

Holly, so glad your car is back, too. I'm late in saying this, already emailed this to you, but reading it in your blog brought it all back.
And you are such a treasure to find the "heart" in all of it. And you always do, no matter how tired or worried you get, it's in your writing that you are very clear that at the end of the day, what matters is heart. I love you.

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home