22 July 2007

shadow of the object


We’re back in that same office, Scott and I. Same therapist sitting across the same floral rug, same issues holding the space between us. It’s different this time, me looking to him with no words, nowhere to begin. A year ago so much to say, me at the helm and clarity steering.

She sits in the overstuffed brown leather seeing all the way through me. I squirm against the arm of a small couch, leaning hard away from Scott. Am I here to reconcile or to, finally, clip those last remaining threads?


****

I stand in the bathroom watching street lights make shadows on the sidewalk; see the morning paper hit the doorstep across the street. God, what time is it anyway? There’s a rush of traffic off in the distance but I hear big wind blowing through Black Butte Ranch (Thanks, Tracy). Past that a hollow train whistle far off to the north and coming closer. 4:07 a.m. Seen the whole night through too much these last few weeks.

Oh, how I love the middle of the night quiet, house lights out, whole world sleeping. So I take down the screen to rest my elbows on the ledge. Stick my head, neck, shoulders out the window and light a cigarette, seen to many cigarettes the whole way through lately, too.

Why is it eminent to solve all of life’s problems at 4 a.m? Everything lost and pushed down in the bustle of the day comes rushing in with nothing to deflect it. Middle of the night panic. Debt collectors and wasted time, dead end jobs and narrowed vision.

And my girls are going on vacation, their first real vacation, down the coast and through the Redwoods. Camping on the beach without me. Not even eight years between them and they have a life I beyond me. Friends, relationships to neighborhoods I barely know. Store keepers and librarians who call them by name. People I’ve never met.

This restless madruga.

***

We fill dead air talking jobs and cars and about the trip until she says: “Ok, so what are we not talking about today.”

She’s older looking this summer, graying at the hairline.

I hold my silence; think “I didn’t call this meeting.”

She says: “Why do you want to rebuild this?”

I look over Scott’s head reading titles on the shelf until my eyes catch on “The Shadow of the Object.” White letters down the black spine. We never touch sitting on the couch.

“Holly?”

I want family vacations with my kids. The three-month road trips talked about when I was pregnant with Amelia. We’d go down the coast and through the desert, cross the Rio Grande, Rio Bravo on the other side. Maybe settle down in Yucatan. I want one parent in the kitchen while the other helps with homework. Maybe coach their soccer teams together. I want to give back the agony of Thursday afternoon goodbyes. I want to see Amelia’s wonder when she walks upright through the tunnel of a fallen redwood. I don’t ever want to share my girls with another woman. EVER. But I don’t know a thing about growing old together.


I say: “Maybe it could work. There’s so much I don’t trust, so much that I can’t lose again. But maybe it could be different.”

11 Comments:

Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

So sad.

Love the discrepancy between what is going on in your head and what you say.

We all do it.

6:44 PM  
Blogger riversgrace said...

Love the way you know yourself in this piece, Hol. That you know what you want and what you want to say. And what you don't want. What you fear. What you love. What you want to surrender and what you don't ever want to give away.

More, please......

8:30 PM  
Blogger Deb Shucka said...

Oh, Holly. I could actually hear your voice saying these words and see the wry smile on your face. I can so relate to the duality of what's going on. You've expressed your conflicting desires with your usual poetic clarity.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

Exceptional writing Holly, as always. So much to lose all over again and so much to win if it works.

LOVE the way you describe the 4am self torture time.

XOXO
Suzy

8:39 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Yeah, this is pretty heartbreaking to read, and it makes complete sense. Love how you tell it. Maybe you don't have clarity you want about the situation at the moment, but you have clarity in your writing. Keep writing it, keep listening hard to yourself.

Wish I could be there at 4am. This week I'm staying with a small child again, and it's EST, so maybe I'll be getting up by then. :)

Love you.

2:06 PM  
Blogger kario said...

I am so caught up in this tidal back-and-forth with you as you write. Such beautiful words!

As a mother, I can completely identify with what you are feeling. I once told my hubby that if he ever decided to divorce me I'd have to kill him and bury his body in the backyard because I'm not sharing my girls with anyone.

Love.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Jerri said...

Gorgeous writing, Holly.

Like Prema says, More, please.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Heartbreaking. Resonant. Universal. Honest.

love.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Oh, I can just feel this struggle within you. You express it so honestly and beautifully.

I wish I had my own words of wisdom to share, but at least I know one wise thing to say that I read very recently:

"Don't panic. Just climb back up one branch and look for another route. It's ok. You got up here, so there has to be a way down."

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautifully done. Lovely echoes in "whole night through" and "whole way through." I hear that traffic-wind; hear the train whistle blowing. I love your writing voice.

Seems like settling on the counselor's couch is a lot like settling down to write. You put yourself in the space and see what comes. Maybe that's all of life, and we are just practicing here, at our little plastic keyboards, pressing and tapping our own souls for tone, and for truth.

I am so curious about that book title. Did you think anything about it, or did your eyes just notice it and not want to let it go? xo t

5:16 AM  
Blogger Writer said...

I like when you opened up and told us your thoughts and then ended with not knowing how to grow old.

I also like your insight into 4:00 a.m. trying to solve the worlds problems! I think you could expand on that ...I wanted to know more.

Great insight into what Scott was doing...looking the other way reading the book titles. uggggh

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home