30 May 2008

wicked

No person, real or fictional, no monster, goblin or republican president has ever terrified me like the Wicked Witch of the West. All my fears come through that green skin. Her cackling face in Dorothy's crystal ball.

I don't even have to see her. Just the thought, just a snip of Judy Garland singing over the rainbow, a flash of any part of that film sends a feeling down my back. Like something close behind crouching down to get me. I'm not making this up. At six, Amelia still hasn't seen the movie. I won't let her.

Wicked - the book that gave the witch a name, Elphaba; and a story, the misunderstood, altruistic green girl who slowly goes crazy fighting the good fight and believes she's a witch - was the cheapest, quickest, most effective therapy I've ever had. I get her now.

The book starts before Elphaba's birth and ends with a different perspective of the movie. It details Ozian politics and twists things around until you can see evil isn't evil and good isn't good. We are all both. She's not who you think she is.

Wicked, the musical, blurs it even more, in a gorgeous watered-down, Broadway, kind of way. In the end Elphaba, the wicked witch of the west, the only person who's ever scared me more than me, sings my song.

Fly on, girl!

7 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

LOVE that musical, the music is the best. Glad you got therapied on that one!

6:55 AM  
Blogger kario said...

Ooh - I've got to check these out! Thanks for the perspective.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

Great song.

My nightmare is the Excorcist, but I doubt they'll be making Reagan, The Musical anytime soon.

: )

11:03 AM  
Blogger Go Mama said...

OMG, you have to see Eden Espinosa doing the role. I saw her in LA before she left the show. Even more amazing than Idina:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0CPpKuCeps&feature=related

11:21 AM  
Blogger Ask Me Anything said...

you totally touched a nerve with this one

5:30 PM  
Blogger Jerri said...

Hey, H--

Just got a very strange email from your gmail account. I think it might have been highjacked. Can you drop me a line? Thanks.

5:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Granted, which is partly because discover generally very little closeness or intimacy between two paid performers, and nature of an sizegenetics film set -- weird lighting, multiple cameras pointing at you, creepy directors barking orders, etc. -- is simply not one conducive to complete, uninhibited pleasure. With that said, if massive penises were truly magical pleasure rods that could make any woman thrash uncontrollably with little effort, it stands to reason that female stars in sizegenetics films wouldn't require try so hard to appear like they were enjoying the experience.
http://sizegenetics-reviewx.tumblr.com/

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home