13 January 2008

i see patterns


Usually when my car is stolen I find out standing in the parking lot. Who the fuck starts a sentence usually when my car gets stolen? Like, usually when I grocery shop, usually when I pick-up the girls from school, usually when I pay bills. Actually, Usually my car is stolen more frequently than I sit down to pay bills.

Usually it starts with me in the parking lot, purple morning streaked skies, Josie on my hip, lunches stacked under my arm, backpack on the shoulder above the hip that does not hold Josie. We are late for school. There’s a key to nothing sticking out of my left hand and empty space above gray concrete where my car isn’t.

It usually starts just about like that.

7:15 Tuesday morning. There’s Scott in my door and I open it to let him in.

“Please,” he said, one foot in “Please tell me you didn’t park in the lot last night.”

He’s holding a tote bag with evenly spaced red and green and blue little footprints. It hangs down beside his leg. Reason for the stop, it has a book of Amelia's that's due back at school. I See Patterns. The book is called I See Patterns.

I see patterns, too.

8 Comments:

Blogger kario said...

Good God, woman! This must be some sort of record. Please call David Letterman and tell him about the number of times your car has 'gone missing' in the past year.

I just don't know what else to say.

Oh, yeah. Love.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I'm so, so sorry Holly...but may I humbly say that this post is almost worth it? It's sad, and unfair, and frustrating as hell, but is it okay to admit that I am laughing out loud at my desk?

"There’s a key to nothing sticking out of my left hand and empty space above gray concrete where my car isn’t."

This is a small piece of hilarious perfection. And THAT is a pattern worth finding.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Jerri said...

That car is attached to a cosmic rubber band. I'll bet it will be back before you know it.

And about seeing patterns? The pattern I see here one of brilliant writing, appearing on this blog, over and over.

8:11 PM  
Blogger riversgrace said...

I agree, TOTALLY worth it for the post. And the great laugh. Of course, and that conversation, the way the car came back so much faster this time. You are working it through, whatever this thing is...and there were no bus rides at midnight for you this time, either. Yea.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Naomi from IttyBiz said...

I've got nothing to say to that. I've never owned a car so I can't even imagine what that's like, let alone a bazillion times. Dude, that SUCKS.

9:16 PM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Ditto KIM! The key to nothing cracks me up!

7:24 AM  
Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

What is your car made of? Gold?

Gotta admit...the first sentence cracked me up.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Yeah, I think worth it for the stellar blog post and the Thai Food. Since you didn't have to pay this time.

Use that Club.

Really though I think the universe wants you to have a fancy car, and is just trying to figure out how to give it to you.

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home