14 October 2007

i, MEME, mine


I've read about 10 of these now and I still don't have the first clue what meme means.I wanted to say first fucking clue here because I like the rhythm, but I'm trying to cut back on the gratuitous fucking.

And, you better believe I'm doing my Meme. Kim tagged me and she used to be an editor and even when I'm not writing another word of anything, you better believe I always write when an editor tells me to. Fucking always.

1. I started writing as a distraction in 9th grade so I could look like I was doing something productive in class when I was busy not paying attention. My friend Renee and I wrote three "books" back and forth that year. I'd write a chapter and give the notebook to her. She'd write the next and give it back to me.

2. I kept writing because my letters made people laugh. And because it was the only academic thing I didn't totally suck at. And because I could get a journalism degree without taking any math classes.

3. I would much rather meme than do any of the other things I'm "supposed" to be writing right now. If you give me three months to write something - I still won't start until the night before it's deadline.

4. I write long hand with my right hand - wrong hand - when I'm totally blocked and it opens the flow. sometimes. And, surprise, surprise, the only music I can listen to while writing is the Grateful Dead. Thanks, Jerry! I know it all so well it doesn't distract me.

5. Two-years ago I hadn't published in more than three years and knew I would never be able to write again. I was terrified of taking on 500 word recreation stories for the paper. One year ago I knew I could write newspaper stuff but thought that was my ceiling. Today my entire income is writing and when I say I'm writing a book, it doesn't feel like a lie anymore. Big thanks to all of you for believing in me with such fervor I couldn't help believing in me, too!

I tag Prema, Jess and Tracy. You're it!

7 Comments:

Blogger Suzy said...

You're easy to believe in...

Love,
Suzy

8:14 AM  
Blogger kario said...

You rock! I still haven't tried that writing with the wrong hand thing. I'm too anal about the way the letters look.

And, if I was an editor right now, I'd be making sure I only gave you assignments that were due tomorrow!

10:44 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Wonderful! I love how much I learned about you. What an incredible journey the past two years have been for you. I'm excited to see where the next two take you.

Oh, and I actually meant to start out: Fucking wonderful!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Jerri said...

Count me with Suzy: you're easy to believe in.

What's hard to believe is that you ever thought 500 word recreation pieces were your ceiling.

Remember: I knew you when.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Great! Yes, you are easy to believe in.

Thanks for passing it on...

For the past few days I have been trying to figure out how the picture here was related to this. Duh. They're playing tag.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

I didn't get the fucking picture either, thanks for spelling it out for me Jess.

Really glad to hear you're giving up the gratuitous fucking. The world is a better place already. Gratuitous fucking is TFBS!

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Color me dense, but I still don't know what a meme is.

:) tg

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home